September 26, 2009

FULL MOON RISING

Our life right now is potty training. Or maybe it is more accurate to say, my life right now is being trained to take little girls to the potty in regular intervals. LOL! whichever the case, I live in the bathroom lately. And for my germ-a-phobia tendencies, this is quite a mental workout to go into the germ laden stalls at the various places we go as usually I just try to hold it until I am home, but it is not about me now, well maybe it is. I didn't realize at the beginning how different it would be taking girls to the potty as opposed to the boys. Not just standing up for them, nope. And forget the whole idea of hovering, the force is not yet with them - they are two. So, there is an unholy amount of touching toilets going on and it frankly gives me the heebie jeebies thinking of all the grossness, but I really don't know what else to do short from cleaning every toilet with Clorox wipes beforehand, which don't think I haven't thought about carrying them in the diaper wipes container to scrub the seat prior, and who knows, it might just come to that.  Then, of course, just doubling all that fun having two of them to train, and it's not hard to see why my hands are cracked and bleeding from all the hand washing going on. Maybe this is why they squat in China and their dupas never touch the porcelain. hmm? I wonder. And then the whole split pants thing, well now, wasn't that person a genius!
After pulling pants and undies on and off all day long, I can certainly see the advantages! Needless to say, but I will, we have seen the inside of most bathroom stalls on the northside of Indy now, and the girls are understanding the connection between toilets and "hangelly" as they call the antibacterial gel. ha! And honestly, the girls are really doing such a great job of learning and I am so impressed with their progress! Hollyn was the first to be interested and she took right off and for more than a couple days in a row told me when she needed to go. She was motivated by the thought of M&M's for #1 and lollipops for #2 and thrilled with the prospect of stickers to put on her chart! For some reason the motivation is fading and the M&M's have lost that "loving feeling." The lollipops haven't been on her need to list for weeks now. So, we have had a few more accidents, but still not giving it up as she is doing well enough to persevere. I'm just going to have to find a new "currency" for her and I'm not sure what that might be. I keep telling myself it is worth it though not to have to pay for so many diapers as I scrub grossness out of Elmo undies. 
 As for Jessa, she was a slow starter, but has taken off with incredible stick-to-it-ness. She was scared and unnerved about the whole process which is very typical of her personality. Lots of tantrums before trying anything new, but (and I smile a little every time I write that word) she has truly risen to the top of the class. As is also, always her style! So as the days went by and she saw Hollyn being rewarded with high praise from Mommy, candy, stickers, and small toys, she eventually came up to me all on her own, with tears in her eyes, and asked to poop in the potty. And darn if she didn't do that the very first time she sat down! Amazing girl! She has been wearing her Elmo undies for nigh on a week all day long! She loves picking out her lollipop flavor and is doing just a super great job! We recently had to switch out sticker charts for the girls because they had both filled them up! Jessa understands when she needs to go and asks us to sit on the potty and has also been waking up dry most mornings and after nap-times. I really can't believe how easy that went, but I do think she had a bit of a head start, because we know she was potty training in China so maybe it was just something she sorta remembers. She also really, really, really wanted to wear Elmo undies too and that was a big hit for both of them! At first we started having them go potty just on their little Elmo potty and it was just easier to have them sit down outside of the 2x2-oh-so-small powder room. So, that's why these pics are next to the bookcase in the hallway, which is also handy for that needed reading material. ha! Now they are both wanting to use the "big Daddy toilet" as they have coined it. (anything big is a "daddy" to them). And Daddy bought them their very own pink Princess seat to use, which makes the cleanup easier 'cause dumping their "treasures" in the big toilet can cause the big people, mainly the said Daddy, to gag. In any case, we are thrilled at the progess. It's funny that once you start this HUGE process you can't wait for it to be over. Unlike the other milestones my kiddos approach, that I wish to come slowly so I can savor every moment, this is one that will be nice to have BEHIND us...ha! ha! ha! so I just couldn't resist. :)

Lovin' those smiling cheeks!
tee hee.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

So sweet. Annie came to me at 2 and said "I want to wear Elmo panties" and she never looked back. Obviously we had accidents, but as you grow older you forget all of them. Kind of like labor!
It will be worth it!
fyi- research shows that the first stall in the bathroom tends to be the least used and therefore the cleanest. I am not a germa phobe, I am not a germa phobe.....
tia

Anonymous said...

Great job Sweets and I love the pictures. :)

Mike and Rhonda said...

You are cracking me up (no puns intended either). What smart little girls you have. I am dreading this since I have such a strong willed child but, she is starting to show interest in poddy (potty).

Way to go Jessa and Hollyn.

The gFamily said...

Potty training has to be my least favorite thing to do! I also despise public restrooms, but Gillian seems to really like them as she tries them ALL out!! Every new place we enter, she suddenly has to go potty! LOVELY!!

Loved all the cute potty training pics! Those girls are just so cute!!!

Tisha Alexander said...

They are just so adorable! It sounds like it is going well. Our girls came to us potty trained, but one regressed a few weeks after being home. I have since used M&Ms as a reward and now we are on candy corn! Positive reinforcement is a great thing. :)