Today we spent the chilly November afternoon making Jessa's adoption official here at home in the heartland of the USA. She did become a U.S. citizen in New Jersey when our plane landed from China, and we actually have received her official Citizenship Papers and even a special letter from the President of the United States welcoming her to America. Yet, in order to obtain a state birth certificate and have her declared as our dependent with state's rights as a member of our family, we had to petition the court to file the decree of her foreign adoption from China as if she had been adopted legally and in accordance with the laws here at home. I am not a lawyer, but I played one today! :) It was wonderful to have the honor to represent ourselves in something so special as claiming our daughter as fully and 100% our very own! What an exciting day!
Every state is different, but here at home we were able to successfully navigate the legal system with the gracious help of our adoption agency that did our homestudy and is completing our post-placement visits. With their help, I was able to make a few phone calls one afternoon and ended up completing all the necessary paperwork on my own without paying a lawyer $650.00! Just a HUGE blessing! Our agency was actually willing to email us all the steps we needed to take in order to do everything ourselves including sending us the documents that were needed and so we literally just had to plug in our names, dates, and the province information! We went to get them notorized this afternoon, and I was smiling thinking this is the last piece of paper that we have to get notorized for the adoption! WOO HOO! :)
And there's no better place to grow 'em!




















4 comments:
Wow, that is so cool! I wish I could have seen Andrew up there.
Do you want me to let you know EVERY time I cry when I read your blog?? Start the tally!!!!
Hi Shelly!
You are so efficient! We JUST got Clara's readoption done last week....2 years later! : ) What a nice experience you had, ours was pretty anticlimatic! I just love seeing your whole family together....God is so good!!! We'll have to catch up soon!
Love,
Joy
OK, crying. Imagining Andrew on the judges bench, how sweet. I am glad you had such a nice judge, after such a long journey. The outfits are adorable too ;)
tia
Post a Comment